The NGCDD accomplishes its federal mandates through several different avenues. Some activities are carried out by NGCDD staff; others are accomplished by partnering with other established agencies and organizations to address areas of mutual concern. Finally, the NGCDD identifies gaps in service delivery and provides community grants to develop and implement projects that address innovative ways to fill those gaps and develop infrastructure for the State. All activities and community grants address the Council’s current 5 year state plan.
FFY ’17 Community Grants Awarded:
Grants awarded follow the Federal Fiscal Year dates of October 1 through September 30th.
- Aging and Disability Services Division: Informed Choice Through a Person-Centered NWD System
- CitiCare/Sierra Nevada Transportation Coalition (SNTC): SNTC Shared Ride Pilot & Research Project
- Easter Seals Nevada: Mid-Day Transportation
- JUSTin HOPE Foundation: First Responder Training on Developmental Disabilities
- Neighbor Network of Northern Nevada: Traveling Through Time
- Planned Parenthood Mar Monte: Sexual Health Education for People with I/DD
- United Cerebral Palsy of Nevada: Working Progress
- Walker River Paiute Tribe: Agai Dicutta Live In Unity
In addition to the provision and monitoring of community grants, Council staff manage the following projects and activities:
- Self-Advocacy Initiatives
- Consumer Leadership
- P.A.C.E. Events
- Count Me In PACER Puppets
- Integrated Employment
Where We’ve Been – A Look Back at Council Efforts
The Council is often a catalyst, connecting important resources, agencies and supports to one another in addition to organizing, participating in and funding projects that have a long term impact on disability services in Nevada. Past and present accomplishments could not have been possible without collaboration in partnership with ADD partners, state and government agencies, disability organizations and self-advocates.
Highlights of past initiatives include:
- Almost half a million in funding for People First of Nevada since 2008.
- Person First Respectful Language Bill passed in 2007.
- Over 200 Partners in Policymaking graduates.
- Statewide Employment Policy Summit brought 31 agencies and 231 participants together in 2010, culminating in an Executive Order creating the Governor’s Task Force on Integrated Employment in 2014. Read more on our Integrated Employment in Nevada Page .
- Creation of a Housing Data Base and leveraging $3,881,400 through a $60,000 NGCDD grant for affordable/accessible supported living apartments in 2004.
- Nevada Autism Summit in 2005-2006. A 14 month project that led to the formation of a multidisciplinary Autism Assessment Team at UNR, a Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders at UNLV and significant legislative action in our state. Read the report: Nevada Autism Summit report 2-14-07.
- Rural Positive Behavioral Support training in 2008.
- Sierra Nevada Transportation Coalition and Nevada Rural Transit Association
- First statewide Nevada Disabilities Conference in 2013 followed by one in 2015
- Let’s Build a World for Us All music video in 2013. Aimed to reduce the stigma of living with a disability.
- Self Advocacy Network of Nevada Project
- Pathways to Nowhere, Post Secondary Transitions for Students with Disabilities in Nevada
- Roadblocks, Transportation Barriers to Community Mobility and Independence
- Post Secondary Transitions in Nevada: https://guinncenter.org/podcasts/
Stay up to date on our projects and activities by following us on Facebook!