The Council engages in advocacy, system’s change and capacity building activities for people with developmental disabilities and their families in order to promote equal opportunity, self-determination, and community inclusion.
The Nevada Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities (NGCDD) is authorized in accordance with Public Law 106-402 of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act (DD Act) and established under NRS 232.320 within the State of Nevada. The Council operates in partnership with the Nevada Disability and Advocacy Law Center (NDALC) and the Nevada Center for Excellence on Disabilities (NCED) under the “Developmental Disabilities Network”. The NGCDD is funded annually by the Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AIDD) with matching funds of 25% appropriated by the Nevada Legislature. The Council operates on the Federal Fiscal Year Dates of October 1 through September 30th.
What We Do
The Council is committed to the development of a coordinated array of component services, supports and other assistance designed to achieve independence, productivity, integration and inclusion into the community for individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities (I/DD). The Council does not participate in direct service activities as mandated by the DD Act. Key activities include conducting outreach, providing training and technical assistance, removing barriers, developing coalitions, encouraging citizen participation, and keeping policymakers informed about disability issues.
Our goals are based on gaps in service identified through the development of our FFY 2017-2021 5 year state plan based on Federal “Areas of Emphasis” as outlined in the DD Act. The DD Act allows the State Councils to determine the areas of emphasis upon which to focus.
The Council accomplishes its goals through activities carried out by NGCDD staff and partnering with other established agencies and organizations to address areas of mutual concern through sub-grants to develop and implement projects that address innovative ways to fill service gaps and develop infrastructure for the State. Visit our Projects & Activities Page for more information on our current grants awarded and staff projects.
Council members are appointed by the Governor and include individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities; parents or family members of individuals with intellectual/developmental disabilities; and individuals who represent agencies that provide services to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities. Sixty percent (60%) of the Council must be made up of individuals with disabilities and/or parents of individuals with disabilities.
- Jodi Thornley – Council Chair, Parent
- Stephen Schumacher – Council Vice Chair, Advocate
- Vickie Ives – Title V of the SSA (Public and Behavioral Health)
- Jacob Arant – Advocate
- Lisa Bonie – Non Governmental Agency (NNCIL)
- Jenny Casselman – Parent
- Robbin Dunn – Parent
- Jennifer Frischmann – Title XIX of the SSA (Medicaid)
- Ron Futrell – Parent
- Aimee Hadleigh – Parent
- Shelley Hendren – Rehab Act of 1973 (Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation)
- Christi Hines-Coates – Department of Education
- Kathleen Kingston – Parent
- Russell Lehmann – Advocate
- Jack Mayes – Protection and Advocacy Agency (NDALC)
- Kimberly Palma-Ortega – Parent
- Cara Paoli – Older Americans Act of 1965 (aging and Disability Services Division)
- Brian Patchett – Non Governmental Agency (Easter Seals, NV)
- Santa Perez – Advocate
- Renee Portnell – Parent
- Robin Renshaw – Advocate
- Steve Rock – University Center for Excellence in Disabilities (NCED)
- David Sorensen – Advocate
- Sherry Manning, Executive Director email@example.com
- Kari Horn, Projects Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
- Catherine Nielsen, Self-Advocacy Coordinator email@example.com
- Ellen Marquez, Executive Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org
- Executive Committee: Chair: Jodi Thornley, Members: Robbin Dunn, Kimberly Palma-Ortega, and Renee Portnell
- Evaluation Committee: Chair: Kimberly Palma-Ortega, Members: Aimee Hadleigh, Shelley Hendren, Jack Mayes, Santa Perez, Renee Portnell, Steve Rock, Jodi Thornley
- Budget Committee: Chair: Robbin Dunn Members: Mary Liveratti, Steve Rock, Jodi Thornley, Jason Kolenut, Jack Reid, Jenny Casselman, Russell Lehmann
- Legislative Committee: Chair: Renee Portnell, Members: Lisa, Bonie, Erik Jimenez, Kathleen Kingston, Russell Lehmann, Jack Mayes, Brian Patchett, Santa Perez, Stephen Schumacher
Agendas and minutes of past Committee meetings can be found on our Event Calendar, Agendas and Meeting Minutes Page.
Other Important Links
If you have further questions about the council, or becoming a council member, please email Ellen Marquez, Executive Assistant at email@example.com or call 775-684-8619.